Sunday, May 18, 2014

Welcome to the DR! (Day One)

Jordan Bramblett
Dominican Republic Study Abroad
May 17th, 2014
Day One



            The Start: I started my day arriving at the Lexington Bluegrass airport to board my plane at 6:30 this morning. I was still tired from the night before by staying up late finishing up my last minute packing. My first connecting flight was to the Dallas airport with an hour layover then headed to  Miami for a 5 Hour layover.  During the flights I was able to catch up on my sleep.
            When I got to Miami I got the chance to link up and hang out with my Uncle JoJo. He picked me up from the airport and we ended up going to the Dolphin Mall in Miami. We went to some restaurant where they offered a free beer with the meal, so of course we had to eat there. They had some really good fish, rice, and some “soup style” spinach that was a good topping for the food. I also had Plantains for the first time and they were really good. I believe they are a dessert style of bananas. Top it off with Two Coronas with a Lime and Good Conversation and I had a smooth little time with Uncle JoJo. I was glad we were able to kick it and hangout while I was in Miami for a little bit of time. The last time I spent time with my uncle was either during the time of my grandmother’s funeral, or when I came to Miami for spring break in 2012. The time spent was well needed.
            When JoJo dropped me back off at the airport I spent some time being around the Oklahoma Sooners University athletic team. My assumption was that they were traveling to Haiti to help out the people in those impoverished communities (due to the shirts they were wearing.) #Sooners4Haiti
            Once I found the gate we were boarding, it was like all the students traveling abroad with me tended to come in one by one. Everyone was excited to see one another and to be finally boarding the plane to the Dominican Republic. The flight to the DR seemed quick to me.
            The first step off the plane, the humidity hit me. Real muggy, thick humidity especially since it was around 7:30 that evening. Baggage claim was smooth for everyone except Josh, it’s crazy because I knew that someone was going to lose his or her luggage and I just knew with my luck it would be me. I’m glad it wasn’t me.
            ISA met us outside the airport and together we traveled in something like a “charter van” to each person’s home-stay.  While we were riding we got to see the Santiago (the city we are staying in) city streets. Almost something like what you would see on the TV. Poverty in the city is pretty clear and evident with the city and the environment. I seen police or security guards walking around or monitoring stores with shotguns in their laps. Kind of blew me away. One thing I would’ve never guessed to see is a damn Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant. Small World. The Irony.
            Once I arrived to my Home-stay house, the first person I seen was Sean Hardiman (the “Radcliff Connection” is everywhere I tell you!) Sean and I are both from Radcliff, and we both graduated from North Hardin High. Sean and Josh are my roommates while I’m over here abroad. 
            As I walked into the house I met my home-stay aunt. Small petite woman, she seems very nice though. She greeted us with a hug and a kiss on the check as she welcomed us into our home. Apparently my home-stay parents are traveling out of town and won’t be here for the first week. Cool Beans, I guess. 
           Once I dropped my bags off in my room, the first thing I said to her was, “Donde esta la comida, Soy es muy hambre” which translates to, “Where is the food, I am very hungry.” Although that sounds very rude, I promise I said this is the nicest polite way that I could’ve said it to her.
            She fed us white rice, chicken, potato salad, and some beans. The food was really good.  I almost made the mistake of using the ice cubes though to drink my coke-cola. I say this is a mistake because they say the water isn't good for you, and you know that the ice cubes are made from the water. From what Josh said, he believes that coke-cola is a fairly popular beverage here in the DR.
            After the meal, we sat around the table and talked a little bit and tried to figure out the Wi-Fi passcode to the house. It’s crazy how much we depend and take for granted the access to technology that we have. We were in here losing our mind, constantly checking our phone just out of habit. So far this experience has already been a good eye opener.
            I’m excited to see how the day will go tomorrow. Going to bed at midnight on the first night was something I didn’t expect but with nothing to do, I might as well get some rest.  More words, and more experiences tomorrow! 

#BreezingInTheDR



No comments:

Post a Comment